26th April 2018 Thursday - Red lights, Big dog and It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Hello Everybody! From Sunny USA.

Route: New York to Philladelphia

 For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 166km
Average speed: 17.76 kph
Calories: 4,823
Cycling time: 9h 22min
Average cadence: 66 rpm
Climb: 611m, Descent: 621m
Temperament: Happy go lucky
Aver Temp: 20.7C, Max temp 25C


I was about to start my blog (USA side) by going through all the things Ruth and myself did getting to, and in, New York. Unfortunately, and largely due to legal reasons, I am unable to mention anything between the dates of 22nd April 2018 and up to midnight of 25th April 2018.

We are hoping to get the many legal restrictions lifted soon. We will then be free to explain what happened. All I can say is that: 1) yes there was a murder; 2) a butler was involved but only incidentally; and thrice) we did visit a lot of dining rooms.

So the plan was to leave New York at 8.00am which amazingly was the time I left. Off I set, as you can see in the short video above, and made the ferry for 08.30 so as to cross the west side of the Hudson. This was also Ruth’s first day travelling by the Amtrak train service. We planned to meet later in Philadelphia all being well.



The first 2 hours were very slow due to traffic, getting slightly lost sometimes and flipping RED flipping LIGHTS flipping. Every single intersection (English = crossroads) turned to red just as I was about to power through, thereby damaging my average speed and just getting on my nerves. However, I have a solution from dear old Britain, namely Roundabouts.

The benefits are obvious: 1) no red lights so no electricity needed, saving the planet; 2) no stopping/starting cars as roundabouts often allow you to drive through without recourse to brake or accelerator pedal, again saving energy; and thrice) with roundabout you can make pretty gardens or advertising space in the middle, again making better use of real estate. [EDITOR NOTE: Al does seem to like his lists so get used to them].

The original was lost due
to tech error but this
gives you some idea

During my planning phase of this trip, which was around 4 days just before we were due to depart, as is the norm for me, I discovered that dogs can often attack cyclists in the USA. Such dogs tend to be left untethered and are bored from lying down all day, so a cyclist moving at speed is a very nice change and a chance for them to practise running after things. I was not expecting much of this in built-up areas but just look what I came across, yes a flipping massive dog as shown in the photo. I spoke to the owner, a very nice woman from Slovakia, who told me it was a Russian dog, called Boris I think. I asked if I could stroke Boris but she mentioned that he is not the touchy/feely type but I could try if I was really keen. Anyway off I sped.
Arrived in Sunny Philadelphia around 19.40, it would have been 19.15 but it took me 25 mins extra to find the place we were staying after I found the correct street. Spruce Street is about 32 miles long, which for the non-mathematicians out there, is slightly longer than a weekend in Bognor Regis. Our slightly good friends, Simon & Rayna, suggested we go to the Victor Cafe which we did. It was a fantastic place, great food and reasonable but the main feature was its classical musical heritage and memorabilia, also the fact that every 20 mins or so, one of the waiting staff would sing a classical song. They asked me to sing but I said I need to protect my voice for shouting at red lights.

[EDITOR NOTE: Any names used in this and future blogs will typically relate to people who live in the idyllic village of Redbourn. Redbourn is mentioned in the Domesday Book due to a common practice at that time for all newborn babies and kittens to be daubed with red paint on their foreheads. Obviously, this does not occur today, but pregnant cats in the village still seem to have a very nervous stare as they go about their daily duties].

Other things: cycled thorough Princeton which looked like a movie version of the British countryside – well worth a visit. Met a woman who asked if she could ride my bike and then asked if I was going to the wedding. As British people always tell the truth, I told her that I did have an invite but was still deciding whether to go or not. Also met a man who asked what I was doing and then shook my hand – I did not get his name but I am fairly sure it was Dennis. 

Ruth’s day was also eventful as she got to Penn Station in good time and then met some very nice Amtrak people called “Red Caps” i.e. they wore red caps. They helped Ruth with her cases and made sure she was on the right train etc. Service was excellent and the journey was very enjoyable and stress-free. Ruth also did not mind AT ALL, carting two suitcases, a very heavy one with a lot of my gear including tent and mudguards (don’t ask) and another with my two front pannier bags and their contents, down four flights of stairs and across most of New York. She is a diamond i.e. a bit rough in its natural state but polishes up into a sparkly, sparkly gem.


Regards, Al (and Ruth)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

Final Blog Post