3rd May 2018 Thursday – Ruth leaves Alan at last and about time too

Route: Washington DC to Sheperdstown
For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 119km (Total 400km)
Average speed: 17.8 kph
Calories: 3,732
Cycling time: 6h 40min
Average cadence: 69 rpm
Climb: 918m, Descent: 899m
Temperament: Perhaps a shade warm
Aver Temp: 25C, Max temp 31C

So this was the big day, I was waiting for Ruth to tell me that she is staying and will drive a car behind me every day, and in front when it is windy. Ruth was waiting to get out of there as quick as she could, given I have been even more of a blithering idiot than usual – and I really know you will all find that very hard to believe. 

RUTH!!! where’s my phone, where’s my laptop cable, where’s my head (yes definitely up there it was). I was panicking every day about something that had broken, got lost or did not exist in this know universe but I was sure I had put it somewhere. If only somewhere could stop messing about and just stay in one place. Either way she is an angel but a very lucky angel having me as her main client.

After a tearful goodbye to Franklin, Ruth then said “seeya” and promptly left with my Uber – he is only slightly German but does talk with a limp.

Me outside our Airbnb
Anyway, I made the best of it and after looking around the place about 23.478 times (i.e. FTNMOT – that’s a lot) I set out with just Blossom and had my photo taken outside our Airbnb – see photo. [EDITOR NOTE: Alan has asked me to let you know that he has mentioned Uber and Airbnb in quick succession already so he is very “on trend” about such things and not at all a miserable old git].




So the cycling – I will start with a gentle “oh dear”. Got lost trying to find the start of the route, this always occurs so I was only at panic station zebra. Eventually, after crossing a zebra crossing, I found the start but then needed to decide which way the route went. 30 minutes later all was well. Another 30 minutes later again, I passed the start and started from the start again. After about let’s say for sake of argument, 30 minutes, I came across a sign which said C&O Canal – please go up ramp or stairs. The ramp was blocked so I chose the stairs, all 25 of them. Luckily a UK couple helped me carry my bike up all 25. I think the woman was struggling a bit as she had the heavy end while her husband and I were talking about cricket, holding a handlebar end each – very tricky that.

Back on track and the views were fantastic – see photos. 

You will also notice those yellow and blue things in the sky. They stayed there all day and got very hot with each other resulting in a max temperature of 38C. I made this a little worse as at my lunch stop, Ruth forgot to tell me to fill my bottles up with water, and so not long after I was very sweaty, thirsty, annoyed with Ruth and somewhat “emotional”. However the track had lots of camping sites every 4-7 miles apart with most having a water pump, the C&O that Granny used to make but with a little iodine added. The first time “with the pump” I used my new water purifier and drank till I was able to talk properly, the second time I just filled up both bottles as I could not taste any iodine.

Progress was going pretty OK but the C&O started to get a little more bumpy and I also stopped to talk to anyone who would listen. I gave a few of my very professional business cards out, explaining my challenge etc which again took time. I had arranged to stay with a “Warmshowers” couple, but not in Russia obviously, and had promised to be with them between 5.00-6.30pm. Well during the day I revised that to 7.30pm and managed to arrive just after 8.15pm. Scott and Jen, for those who do not know their names, were perfect hosts and made me sleep in the garden, wait for it, in their very own mini Airstream. For those who do not know what an Airstream is 1) please put me on your Christmas list and then take me off again and 2) never speak to me again. 

They were both great company, we watched a bit of Stephen Colbert, and Cricket their dog was very friendly, making up for the loss of Ruth. I slept fairly soundly that night given I had done a bit more than I was expecting and the heat was staggering at times. I will cover the morning bit of my stay tomorrow but rest assured, panic station zebra with a woolly mammoth is on the cards.


Regards, Al (and Ruth, she was there a minute ago but there's nobody here anymore)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

Final Blog Post