27th April 2018 Friday – Industrial but I have a new friend


Hello Everybody! From Rainy then Sunny USA.
Route: Philadelphia to Aberdeen (not the one in Scotland)

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 115km (Total 281km)
Average speed: 19.39 kph
Calories: 3,426
Cycling time: 5h 57min
Average cadence: 67 rpm
Climb: 619m, Descent: 578m
Temperament: Nice, not nice, then nice again
Aver Temp: 15C, Max temp 20C

Yesterday was quite tough as I had a headwind of around 10mph all day. Gets on your nerves after a while. Today was the opposite and I enjoyed a luvverly tailwind which is why my average speed improved quite a bit and also I am a cycling god (small “g” just in case). Also I cycled on some fairly major roads, think dual carriageways sometimes and often with thrice lanes. The bad news - it was not picturesque and occasionally I needed to do some avoidance manoeuvres (i.e. when the cycle lane disappeared suddenly). In summary it was a very industrial landscape type of day, that offered very little in the way of nice things to see or stop at but at least I was getting nearer to my darling wife with each stroke of the pedal.

However, the good news was that I got hardly any flipping red flipping lights flipping and the tarmac was almost as smooth as the beautiful, cyclist paradise normally referred to as France. The only real difference in France is that when cycling, car drivers often stop and ask if they can pump your tyres, service your rear dérailleur and offer other cycling related services - I once actually received a marriage proposal when climbing up a particularly tough col, sadly she could not service Shimano equipment so I politely declined [EDITOR NOTE: Al, rambling again, and no-one will believe such a stupid “marriage proposal” story, well apart from Berni that is]. Anyhow, American drivers are not too far behind the French attitude though, as I have found them to be very courteous drivers, especially in relation to cyclists.

Yes I know you were waiting for this so, “Let’s talk cycle lanes some more”. Another good thing cycling in the USA is that their cycle lanes are just plain bigger than anything I have been on before. They do remove the sense of an impending “death by cattle truck” (we knew it was a cattle truck, as he was covered in hoof marks, officer). So things really are bigger in the USA – see photo (which is missing due to earlier SD mishap).

I have a new friend who is going to travel with me all the way to San Francisco. His name is Franklin* and this is how we met. Before I start, please settle down, get comfy and maybe make yourself a nice cup of tea, maybe even a biccie ….. I was cycling along a fairly boring bit of road, upon which I noticed a baseball field just to my left. I then perchanced to notice, on my right, a small, rotund lime-coloured figure lying in the grassy verge. I cycled on for about 50 metres and then thought “poor guy, let’s see if I can help him out”. So I turned round (this is getting quite exciting isn’t it?) [EDITOR NOTE: No], picked him up and placed him in one of my pannier bags – I did say he was little. We travelled on together until we reached Aberdeen and Ruth. At which point I cleaned him up but unfortunately, I ended up getting a very bad paper cut from a piece of paper, and I picked poor little Franklin up and threw him to the ground in anger at my misfortune. I immediately became overcome with sadness and regrettedness (yes it is a word) and then picked poor Franklin up but noticed that his face had changed into something resembling well, a face. An eerie silence ensued as I thought to myself “Al, I am sure you have seen something like this before”. However for the life of me I cannot remember where and how, but Franklin will now stay with me to the bitter end and we will be best buddies forever. If anyone has any idea of where you have seen something like this before please let me know.

Other things: Ruth’s taxi in Philladelphia did arrive although I was sure it would not and then taxi in Aberdeen did not arrive although I was sure it would arrive. Ruth managed as usual and was picked up by the lovely Cathy in Aberdeen who was a character and a half to say the least.

* for those who have no idea what I am on about (i.e. Berni) a clue might be to watch a Tom Hanks movie from 2001. By the way, he is called “Franklin” as it is tattooed upon the top of his head. In similar fashion, I am thinking of getting "Idiot" tatooed on mine also.

Regards, Al (and Ruth)

Comments

  1. Hope you and Franklin have a lovely holiday together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Franklin looks like a good guy.
    Just make sure you hang on to him when you have to cross that raging river by raft. Don't want him floating away.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Luisa M'Causland9 May 2018 at 11:41

    I cried my eyes out when he lost Wilson.. so, please make sure you don't lose Franklin.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

Final Blog Post