1st July 2018 Sunday – Easy ride but Ruth got day wrong AGAIN!!!!

Hello Everybody!
Route: Kirkwood to Fiddletown

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 53 miles (Total 3,330)
Average speed: 15.2 mph
Calories: 881
Cycling time: 3h 29min
Average cadence: 74 rpm
Climb: 1,896ft, Descent: 7,457ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 138 Aver 104
Aver Temp: 29C, Max temp 40C
Temperament: Going downhill is a fair bit easier than going uphill I have found

Today I have been retired for 1 year. So far I am enjoying being retired, although Ruth's continuous mishaps are getting on my nerves.

Had almost the same breakfast as yesterday and left about an hour later than yesterday, as today was very much downhill and quite short at 53-miles. It was hot with very little breeze but I managed on less than 2 bottles.

I did stop at Casey Station about 18-miles from the finish to have the best cheese omelette, hash browns, and wheat bread toast so far this trip. As I was having my late second breakfast of the day a lady started to talk to me as she had seen the union flag on my shirt – I have started to wear my proper cycle tops now that I am out of Nevada.

Her name was Kate and her husband's name was Greg. She was from Chester, UK and still had her northern accent and Greg was from San Fran and he still had his Californian accent. I gave them a business card and we took some photos – see photos. I think they may donate also but we will see (UPDATE They did donate). As usual I invited them to stay with us if they ever come to the UK.



Anyway the last 18-miles went quick quickly even though I had turned off the main highway and was definitely on a back road. It was quite bumpy and the trees overhead did a very good job of hiding the holes and lumps in the road. Nothing much happened apart from 2 deer crossing the road just in front of us about 6-miles out. Arnold gave the shout as he was on sentry duty today and I managed to avoid the deer by subtle use of my brakes and steering control. Nice.

When I arrived at my B&B the first thing Alice, the owner mentioned was that she expected me tomorrow. Well you can imagine my thought processes on that one. I will be speaking to Ruth later today when I get on the WiFi. So far I hve been sitting in the garden under an oak tree contemplating the world and other minor items. I also thought I would do some of this blog to make the best use of the time. It has been very nice sitting in the shade with a very nice breeze blowing and the wind chimes chiming in the wind, which to be fair is what they are supposed to do. Fiddletown has one shop which sells fudge. Hmmm.

I think I will be having one of my pre-prepared camping meals tonight, possibly the vegetable curry with rice and I will throw in a couple of the tuna tinfoil packets to add extra calories and fibre.

It’s been very nice to sit and not do much for the last hour or so. You should try it yourself maybe?

Arnold and Franklin have gone for a short walk, although I did see Arnold kicking Franklin down the lane. I might have a word later.


Happy Holidays, Al, Frank & Arnie xxx

CYCLE TRAVEL PHOTOS:


















Alice's dog called Sally. She has white eyes and a lopsided grin. 


Comments

  1. near the end now.....and look at how many people have 'put up with you' and had a chat, so humbling to see there are so many lovely people out there (you included of course :-) )
    Take care......xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Debs, from you that is almost a compliment. I will take you out for lunch when I get back and as usual you can pay. Regards, Al

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world