2nd July 2018 Monday – Quite a tough day what with the heat and all

Hello Everybody!
Route: Fiddletown to Sacramento

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 72 miles (Total 3,402)
Average speed: 12.6 mph
Calories: 1,597
Cycling time: 5h 40min
Average cadence: 78 rpm
Climb: 1,782ft, Descent: 3,238ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 141 Aver 114
Aver Temp: 32C, Max temp 39C
Temperament: Lovely 1st half, hot & lumpy 2nd half = tough day

Breakfast was due to start at 9am which was a bit too late but I went with the flow. We had breakfast in the garden as it was not too hot and the oak tree gave good shade. John & Tammy were staying in the other room and they were very pleasant people – John is keen on farming and both of them seem very interested in organic food and production. Good for them I say.

In the end, I left at 10.10am. A bit too late given the mileage but I made good time during the first half and when I got to Folsom I was a bit surprised as I was expecting it to be much nearer Sacramento. I don’t think they moved it overnight so probably my error and not the mapmakers.

My first stop was Plymouth and looking back I should have stayed there instead of Fiddletown. Mainly due to the fact that it had a number of shops and an actual high street but maybe next time. I did stop for root beer, coffee and zucchini/carrot bread which was very tasty.

I then “got going” and arrived in the Folsom area fairly pronto. I did notice the large Johnny Cash picture – see photos, given he did make Folsom (prison) fairly famous. I stayed on the main road rather than use the bike lane as the latter kept going up and down and down and up. The main road was much more “steady eddie” which I like. Folsom was also a surprise – the old part of it is very pretty and has lots of tourist shops and places to eat. I ended up with a veggie omelette for a change!

After leaving or rather trying to leave Folsom I found that the route to get under the freeway was being upgraded and therefore closed to all and sundry, including me. I managed to find a route and then got onto the Johnny Cash bike trail. I have noticed that bike trails tend to be quite uppy and downy as the JC trail was certainly not making me change my mind. It followed the river which was going towards the sea but the trail was often going to the mountains – i.e. it was going up and then down and then up again. It was probably getting on my nerves also.

Anyway, I ended up using an old railway track which was at least a steady gradient. It also stopped a few times with nothing available in terms of what one would call a way forward. I will speak to Ruth later.

Eventually, I got to Sacramento and my trusty Garmin and ACA route was making a right mess of things. They tried to get me to cross the river using the freeway. Not a problem other than the sign saying “No bicycles, and that means you Swinhoe”. I was also a bit nervous given Sacramento has a river in the middle of it but does not have enough bridges, in my opinion, i.e. it has about 3 but 3 is not enough. Some people also think that 3 is not a lot, don't they Jack?

I moved to Google maps and that got me to my destination – slightly later than expected but only due to the freeway issue.

Peter and Susan were super Warmshowers hosts. Peter almost has as many bicycles as me but certainly he has an odd assortment of machines. He did have his bestest Colnago in the utility room hung/hanging/hanged/hovering/hoovering from the ceiling – which was nice. I will be doing the same with Blossom but in the main dining area of our house when I get back. Ruth has already agreed to this as she is such a fantastic wife and potential future companion for me.

We had an enjoyable evening eating leftovers and chatting about stuff.

Love & Kisses to all, Al, Franklin & Arnold - who had a quiet day after I had a word with him for kicking Franklin down the road. He has assured me that will not do this again.

CYCLE TRAVEL PHOTOS:



another flipping roundabout - what gives?















as in the JC song

I came across a teenage rodeo I think.















Lunch spot in Folsom




The uppy / downy trail






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world