3rd July 2018 Tuesday – Quite a tough day what with the headwind and all

Hello Everybody!
Route: Sacramento to Vallejo

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 73 miles (Total 3,474)
Average speed: 12.7 mph
Calories: 1,478
Cycling time: 5h 40min
Average cadence: 74 rpm
Climb: 1,867ft, Descent: 1,775ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 128 Aver 107
Aver Temp: 25C, Max temp 34C
Temperament: Lovely 1st half, hot & lumpy 2nd half = tough day

This was the route’s last chance to say “Hello Swinhoe, how’s it going?”. And to be fair it did just that. Getting out of Sacramento – no probs, stopping at the lovely Univesity town of Davis – simps, even the Sandy at Winters (with root beer and milk of course) – a walk in the park. The last 25 miles to Vallejo – absolute flipping nastiness.

During the last 25-miles I kept changing direction but then so did the wind. It seemed to always follow the “Get in Swinhoe’s face and stay there”. Even Arnold started to rile against the unfairness of it all. He took to shouting out loud all of the surnames of the UK prime ministers since 1235 – the date not the time. The first few hundred years were fairly easy given we did not have a prime minister, so Arnold just kept repeating “ Yes you Sir”, which seemed to keep him happy. Dot – I did check who was the first PM and it was a bloke called Bert Middlethrope.

I was quite sage about it all, not onion but definitely sage, or parsley or rosemary or thyme to quote the very pleasant Simon and Garfunkel song of the same herbs. Anyway I also risked my life today. I was going downhill and I spotted some smoke in the distance – yes it was a series of fires in the hills. Luckily I was turned in the opposite direction otherwise I would have used my 3 bottles ot try to douse the fires. A good waste of energy tablets but anything to help small, brownish rodents from expiring.

So as to the last 25 miles – it was also uphill for quite a spell but by then I was actually smiling and gently laughing each time the wind tried to blow my head off my shoulders. I eventually reached the highest point of today and then it was fairly easy downhill into Vallejo. A few more little hillocks and I was standing outside my latest Airbnb, hosted by the very nice Kay.

Kay is out just now but promised to bring me back some beer, of the free kind, which is the best kind. I did pop out for dinner and had a very tasteless pasta/tomato/chicken affair – hard to get this wrong but they did try their hardest and succeeded. The free beer arrived - life is good.

Oh lest we forget I now only have to get a ferry in the morning, ride a few miles in San Francisco and dip my front wheel in the SF bay and then the job, as they say in Wales, is done. Now we will all need to be a bit patient (this happens to be one of my best qualities and some say that I am the most patient person in the world) as I will dip my front wheel (no this is not a euphemism for something else Angela) when Ruth arrives in SF on 10th or 11th of July – I honestly have no idea what flipping date she has booked and neither does she. Honestly…..

So tomorrow I will try to enjoy the 4th July celebrations about Britain losing to the USA on penalties. I hope you are all happy and well and I am looking forward to showing you my cycle tan, including the white bits, when I return to GOB – Good Old Blighty.

I will also introduce you to Franklin and Arnold.


Regards, Alan, Franklin & Arnold xxx

PETER & SUSAN PHOTOS: (and their bikes)






CYCLE TRAVEL PHOTOS:

























The hill fires















Comments

  1. Absolutely brilliant. You've done it.
    As I mentioned on the phone, provided next time you do all the night bookings and don't leave it to Ruth, you won't need to carry the tent, sleeping bag, or 3 gals of water.
    Anyway, fantastic ride and enjoy San Francisco taking it a bit easy 'til Ruth arrives.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic achievement Alan, have loved following your adventure and will now look forward to welcoming you home and hearing the untold stories! Have a great holiday together in San Francisco,
    Berni and Ken xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world