16th June 2018 Saturday – Nice and cool day

Hello Everybody!
Route: Boulder to Cannonville

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 61 miles (Total 2,734)
Average speed: 10.9 mph
Calories: 1,328
Cycling time: 5h 40min
Average cadence: 70 rpm
Climb: 3,701ft, Descent: 4,321ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 132 Aver 102
Aver Temp: 22C, Max temp 32C
Temperament: Time to recover

Given the revised starting point I had saved myself about 18 miles to Cannonville, so the day was only 65miles long. I left around 8.45 after having breakfast in my cottage and also just down the road – coffee and blueberry muffins.

The first part of today was fairly easy and offered a gentle down and then a couple of minor ups. The major climb was to 7,500 feet but it was pretty steady and then left a nice drop into Cannonville. As you can see the scenery was somewhat different and the sky had things in it that I had not seen for a long while i.e. clouds. It was also very cool, not silk underwear time, but still not as baking hot as the last month or so.

For early morning coffee, I stumbled upon the Kiva Koffeehouse, which I first thought was just someone’s house. It turned out to be a lovely coffee cafe with panoramic windows to watch the world go by. It also provided great coffee, blueberry muffin #2 and cookie #2. I spoke to Lizette about my trip etc and she very kindly donated $20. I also met a nice young guy who works for a cycling touring company and he asked about my route and offered a goos suggestion to miss out Cedar City and go straight north. Sadly I had booked Cedar so said I would go my planned route. I wish I'd know about it earlier though.
Looks like a home
but is a coffee place

Lizette


Michel & Dominique
Just before Escalante, about a third of the way, I met fellow travellers going the other way. It turned out that they were cycling from Patagonia to Alaska. Yes, I did say Patagonia to Alaska !!! Makes my journey seem tame and also look at what they had on their bikes – a rubber chicken each and wooden supports for their luggage etc. They also seem amazingly happy. The younger women was American and she had joined them for part of their journey. The world is a wonderful place, don’t you think?

I had a very nice lunch in Escalante – mint choc milkshake, one half of a Sandy subway, raisin cookie and water. I also met Daniel who was going the other way to me but suggested I use ice in my panniers when going through the desert to help keep my eater cool. I will try this later but sounds like a great idea.

So just around 5 hours I started the descent and ended up in Cannonville. The motel was very good and had a great supermarket attached. I had a chicken spag thing to which I added some salmon from a tin. It was food but not as we know it, Jim. I went to bed early as I knew what was going to happen tomorrow and I did not like it one little bit. Still it could be worse – actually I’m not sure about that.


Love & Kisses, Alan & Franklin xx

NICE PHOTOS:







  




a bit steep although there were 14% drops also








Cannonville - nice place

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world