22nd June 2018 Friday – A standard day if there ever was one

Hello Everybody!
Route: Baker to Ely

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 62 miles (Total 3,032)
Average speed: 11.8 mph
Calories: 1,668
Cycling time: 5h 13min
Average cadence: 77 rpm
Climb: 4,068ft, Descent: 2,940ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 132 Aver 116
Aver Temp: 29C, Max temp 38C
Temperament: Getting used to Nevada – especially the lower temps

I will put photos when I get to better Tinternet.

I set off at 7.15am so as to enjoy the lack of any wind, temperature and traffic. Today did not have anything to call out really. It did get me to Ely, which was nice.

Anyway, leaving the motel I was straight into the first climb, although I did not notice I was on the climb until I was about a third of the way up i.e. it was not very steep. The second climb was longer, with a first half at 2%-5% and a second half at 4%-7 %. The second climb went through Majors Junction which is really just a turn in the road. It has a cafe there but the ACA states that it is closed. When I got close to it I noticed movement and cars so pulled in. Guess what, yes it was open but only just.

There was no food available yet as they are still sorting out licences but I did have two cans of Coke and some of my own food. I also met a Husband and Wife who knew the area very well. The man told me that his family of five generations ago settled from Cornwall to this area of Nevada. I guess they moved there due to the similarities between Cornwall and Nevada e.g. the desert, the regular mountain passes and ranges, the 40C+ temperatures, the rattlesnakes, the lack of anything green that you could eat, no rivers to speak of etc. etc. etc.

Speaking of heat, I do seem to be managing the heat and climbing much better in Nevada. The wind is still a pain but I am “at one” with headwinds now – I just change gear so that I can spin the pedals and keep a constant a speed as possible. The temperature can also be a bit odd – I’ve seen 38C at the top of today's second climb and yet 25C in the valley floor. It should be the other way around I think.

The wind seemed to not come from anywhere but changed constantly due to outlining mountain formations – so I got some tail, some head, and some crossing winds.


I stayed in the Rustic Inn motel in Ely. The hosts were very helpful and friendly and I would be happy to stay there again. For my evening meal, I went to the old jailhouse as this is one of the things you “do” when in Ely. The meal was OK but I thought the experience was a bit naff, to be honest. Ely is also not for people with a car. It is quite hilly and stretched out. This meant I did not go to the main store but made do with a convenience store attached to a petrol station. I did manage to discover Cherrios in a plastic pack. I bought three for breakfast. I am trying for an early start again tomorrow given I have to complete 78 miles and 3.5 climbs tomorrow. Oh dear.

Thanks for reading, Alan & Frankie (who will be in 2 of the photos)

PHOTOS OF BAKER REST DAY
Me, The Big F, and the staff at Kerouac’s restaurant







Hairless caption = cat coat

Guess what I had for starter?







PHOTOS OF BAKER TO ELY TRAVEL
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world