7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world

Hello Everybody!
Route: Salida to Gunnison

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 69 miles (Total 2,323)
Average speed: 10.8 mph
Calories: 2,484
Cycling time: 6h 21min
Average cadence: 72 rpm
Climb: 4,419ft, Descent: 3,717ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 147 Aver 119
Aver Temp: 25C, Max temp 34C
Temperament: I think I am beginning to enjoy things here

I decided to do an early start just in case the wheels fell off. I was very apprehensive about today. I’ve done a lot of miles but not much going upwards since West Virginia, which was quite a time ago it feels. There was only one climb, up to Monarch Pass, and it would take me and dear Bloss to the highest point in our whole USA journey together. It is not the most we will climb as we are starting at a fairly high altitude already. So my concern was reasonably well founded I think.

Anyway, I went to the Dawn Cafe in Salida for early breakfast – I was there by 7.30 even though they open at 6.00am !!!! Egg & bacon sandwich with coffee, OJ and something else I cannot remember – oh it was an everything muffin which I put into my back pocket to keep for later. Later did not want it so I had it instead. Also, the owner was a complete “not very nice person” who will get a very poor google rating from me later. He was rude, rude and thrice rude. Fast forward, I met a couple with a baby at Monarch Pass later in the day and the woman said that the owner has some very poor reviews due to his attitude. Not very Merican.

I met Jerry & Toby again and managed to get their photos. I hope they make contact as I would like to meet them again in the UK and show them the sights. Not sure what we’ll do for the rest of the morning but I’m sure something we come to mind.
Me, outside Dawn Cafe, ready to leave - taken by Jerry & Toby.
If this was video you'd hear the owner shouting at someone/thing.

Toby is on the left, Jerry on the right.


Anyway, I set off and didn’t realise I was doing the climb for the first 10 miles or so – i.e. not very steep. The steep bits some came with a gentle 6% moving up to 7-8% but then going back to 3-5% for quite a while. I was definitely not going to break any record today – steady as she goes was my motto. I also talked to the mountain as this helps to develop a positive relationship in my mind rather than dissing the mountain for being so flipping steep and hard – this mind game actually works. By the way, if I was just on my road bike, avec non plus depas mon panniers, this climb would be a reasonable stretch but not that daunting. However, my road bike is still in the UK which last time I looked in not yet in the USA and certainly not in Colorado.

I reached the top after migrating to stops every 20 minutes to get my breath and tell my legs to stop shouting at me. The Monarch Pass cafe provided me with an egg sandwich, ice cream, coffee and something else I cannot remember although I think it was a rootbeer.

Looking very pleased with oneself
And from the other side

As I was trying to leave I met Sarah, which was nice. John was an hour down the mountain so I left and she waited for him. We tried to arrange to meet up in Gunnison but nothing came of this as I think they had run out of time.

The descent from the summit was 9 miles all downhill – I stayed with the steady motto and only managed to get a maximum speed of 49kph. It had also started with some gentle rain which stopped almost as soon as it started. I did post a 5-mile segment at 9m 48s = 30.6 mph so I was also not going too slow. Blossom seems to be very able going downhill - she is quite "flexy" but seems to keep it straight going downhill.

After the 9 miles ended I then had a 34 mile gentle downhill into Gunnison. The first bit I made good progress but then the headwind started and my speed dropped. I think I have got the hang of headwinds – hands on the bottom of the handlebars (the “drops” to the cycling intelligentsia), head down, stare at the white line and pedal. Simples.

I got into Gunnison around 5pm, showered, changed, had a beer and then attended the local book review club at the Arts Centre. It ended up being me and 8 ladies – I started by saying “So I’m the token man then” and the ice was broken. We were discussing a book about politics, psychology and how people think/vote/believe. I think I kept the UK end up OK and the evening was very enjoyable. Afterwards, I dashed off and forgot to get a photo of the ladies but they might send me one if they read this. MY email is swinhoea@hotmail.com. I then had a quick pasta and chicken meal with free beers.

Back to hostel and some nice banter with the owners and then to bed. Tomorrow I have decided to have a later start, around 10am, and see a bit more of the place. It is a university town and has a very nice buzz/vibe as the young people say.

Happy Days, Franklin & Alan


PS BTW the new saddle that I tried out today seems to be working. I may or may not have mentioned this earlier. New ASI update when things start to change for the better.


 SOME PHOTOS:




The bit I'd done

8 miles in and asked at RV park for water and a weewee


Looks steep and it probably was

Height at Monarch Pass - never cycled this high before




Rockies in the background I think



Panorama

Looked like interesting bulding


NIce cycle lane

The Wanderlust Hostel



Salida main road with view to Rockies

Comments

  1. I looked up ASI on Dr. Google ... and he came up with "American Society of Indexers" ... which I thought was quite cute (comforting to know that there is one).

    Well done for making it to the top ... mega impressed ... we're all following your progress assiduously in the Smith household ☺.

    Richard & Jo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked