29th June 2018 Friday – Really easy day if ever there was one again, again

Hello Everybody!
Route: Fallon to Carson City

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 62 miles (Total 3,228)
Average speed: 14.4 mph
Calories: 1,203
Cycling time: 4h 16min
Average cadence: 73 rpm
Climb: 1,745ft, Descent: 1,024ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 135 Aver 111
Aver Temp: 29C, Max temp 38C
Temperament: Looking forward to it again

Today was a change of scenery in terms of moving from desert landscape to alpine landscape. These two photos were taken in the same spot in Carson City, one pointing west and the other north. Tomorrow I will be in alpine land after a reasonable climb. Oh dear.
Desert
Alpine

The route was also pretty full of vehicles all day, so the Route 50 Loneliest Road seemed to be having a party today. There were also around 3 major places to stop and up to 5 minor places i.e. petrol station.

I also very nearly ended up in Reno which is a little to the north of Carson City. There was a left turn that I missed but Mr. Garmin made an annoying noise which I decided to look at. I turned around and cycled the 250 metres back to the junction. Could have been worse, could have been 7 miles uphill or 7 miles down the wrong side of a river.

After going the right way, my first stop was at Silver Springs where I had a nice lime lolly and a short sit down in the shade. After that, I stopped in Dayton, which looked just like a retail park on the side of the highway. I had a nice chicken thing with a milkshake at “Jack in the box” - fast food but tasted very slow food.

BTW I have trademarked any future or past use of the phrase “slow food”. I have engaged Sodit and Sons as my legal representatives and any infringement of my trademark will be aggressively pursued to the full extent (and I mean all 26 letters and quite a few of the numbers) of the law.

There was a cheeky and almost naughty climb towards the end but a very nice (30 mile) tailwind did nullify somewhat the going upwards bit of the climb – and about time too.

A nice descent into Carson City ended the ride and I found my hotel without any issue. I decided to have an early dinner and took advantage of a local restaurant’s happy hours period on food and drinks. Hurray. After typing this I will have a bowl of Cherrios just so I don’t waste away during the night. Oh and some milk.

Arnold has been good company today. Here are a few of the things that he has done today:
  1. he suggested we took some close up photo of Blossom given the sun was shining
    and she had just been cleaned. See photos that show how she got her name.


  2. rather than sitting on the rear carrier as he did yesterday, Arnold decided to run along with us (me, Franklin & Blossom) as we rode along. Arnold is quite a good runner it seems. It also helped us achieve a good average speed.
  3. Arnold has made himself a bed in the bath. As he is only just over 165cm then he fits in quite well. I am not sure how this will work when we have a room that only has a shower. Perhaps we could use a table?

Anyway, have a good nights sleep everyone.

Love & Kisses, Al, Franklin, Arnold and Blossom xxxx

ANOTHER ROUNDABOUT:





CYCLE TRAVEL BITS:














Rumble strip - ride over this and your filling fall out


  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world