23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

Hello Everybody!
Route: Ely to Eureka and then rest day

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 78 miles (Total 3,110)
Average speed: 11.2 mph
Calories: 2,065
Cycling time: 5h 13min
Average cadence: 76 rpm
Climb: 3,967ft, Descent: 3,845ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 154 Aver 112
Aver Temp: 30C, Max temp 39C
Temperament: Very pleased to get to Eureka

PICTURES TO FOLLOW AS YESTERDAY

I set off at 7.10am so as to enjoy the lack of any wind, temperature, and traffic, almost just like yesterday. However the difference today was there was a westerly wind hitting me from the start and my legs were not talking to me or each other – they felt very heavy, almost as if they’ve cycled over 3,000-miles. This was only the first 100 metres of the day so I was not thinking happy thoughts at this time. However, Ying and Yang, the wind was caused by the buildings acting as a wind tunnel and I told my legs that we were going to take it very steady and adopt a high cadence approach today so as to get life back into ourselves. They listened and obeyed. Neither of them is called Ruth, just to clear up any potential questions.

So after a few miles, I went past Ruth. No idea what she was doing there but past I went. [EDITOR NOTE: Ruth is a very small place outside of Ely and not the luckiest wife in the world]. I could have called in but even though it was only a few miles I thought I could not spare the extra effort, especially given the 3½ climbs we were doing today.

Given I am now in the middle of Nevada I find that as I do not stop anywhere where there is habitable life, I have a lack of “oh and I met this man with three legs and guess what he did for a living?” type stories. So bear with me please and hopefully things will start to change once I get to Fallon.

So the first climb was fairly easy mainly due to the fact that it started immediately and was fairly well stretched out. The second climb was OK, short and sweet. ½ “mini” climb was just as described. The third climb, well that was a decent challenge as to get to it I had to cross the valley floor, only about 8 miles or so BUT into a headwind. Oh dear! About halfway up I decided to use some of my water to dampen my top as it was getting quite warm and I was getting quite tired, not “getting on my nerves” tired but tired none the less. The final bit of the third ½ final climb was a little pointy but came sooner than I was expecting and the 4.5-mile descent into Eureka was pleasant (pronounced pleeeesssaannnttt in Welsh – ask Ruth she knows).

I arrived at the Ruby Motel and asked what the WiFi password was only to be told that there was no password as there was no WiFi service. Given I was having a rest day here this was not very good. Resulting in me moving over the road to one of the best places I have stayed in, certainly in the last month or so.

I met a woman, called Barbara, and a man, called Twig (honest), who told me to eat at the Owl Cafe, which I did. So I finished today and I was certainly relieved to get to my rest day spot. Eureka is a very old mining town and actually has a very large gold mine just south of the town. It also tries to make the best of its history and has a town history walk brochure, which I followed on my rest day. This weekend was also a get together for ghost hunters as Eureka has the most paranormal activity on Highway 50, the loneliest highway in the USA. I saw one woman’s t-shirt which said: “After Lives Matter”. I think this says is all. Night, night and I hope no “goulies” come out to scare you.


Regards, Alan (who is not scared of ghosts or goulies) and Frankie (who is not so sure about ghosts and goulies) xxx

PHOTOS OF CYCLING DAY:





























PHOTOS OF EUREKA:















Oak Cafe


Comments

  1. I guess the ghost hunters hope to see the ghost of Archimedes.
    Has anyone told them he does not manifest himself on Principle.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ditty for the Ghost Hunters of Eureka.

    Archimedes was a man who liked his bath filled full.
    Then one day whilst leaping in he made his Principle.
    When I'm a ghost I'll prowl and howl,
    my spectre hunters won't see.
    But when baths overflow and floors are wet,
    then they will know it is me.


    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hard outer shell of an engineer is slowly cracking to let the artist out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world