13th May 2018 Sunday – It’s just miles Jim.

Hello Everybody!
Route: Middletown to Shelbyville

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 94 miles (Total 904)
Average speed: 10.4mph
Calories: 3,493
Cycling time: 9h 01min
Average cadence: battery issue rpm
Climb: 3,350ft, Descent: 3,284ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 140 Aver 120
Aver Temp: 29C, Max temp 35C
Temperament: Get it done Swinhoe, stop complaining
Miles & Miles


Miles & Miles of water
After a really good rest day spent largely in the cool basement getting my blog a bit further on and booking a few days ahead I think I am beginning to get this touring lark. Still not unconsciously competent more your stupidly moronic but with a smile.

So after the rest I thought I should take on a little exercise. Not the best idea, Al. 95 miles as the route had a few detours – due to road works. One was a bridge improvement and I could see the other side but was forced to cycle 3.5 miles for nothing other than the pleasure of getting hit by wind again.

The day was one of those “get it done before it notices you” and I just about managed it. They did throw in a nice bit of rubble in the middle of nowhere and I managed to fall off BUT in the most graceful way possible. I got caught in some extra fine rubble and Blossom lurched to the left, down an ideally placed bank. Somehow I managed to step through and over dear Blossom so I just walked up the other side of said bank. I wish I had videoed it.

Yes I do seem to fall off more than never. In my defence, I do have a heavy load to carry and sometimes I just look at the birdies and not the road. I do have bruises to show for my nonchalance and I will do better, I promise. Or maybe not.

Given a bit of climbing during the day and mileage I was very happy to get to my Airbnb house which I had negotiated down to a good level – it was a whole house and I got it for a very good deal. The house was fantastic but next door was a similar house but it had been abandoned – as it the state of many of the places I have passed though and stayed in. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it but I guess it is a result of the last financial messup.

I walked about 1.5 miles to get to my evening meal at an Italian (again) which served a lovely chicken pasta dish and (again) free beer. I do remember walking back (see photo of old style shop) and I think I ended up at the correct house.


Regards, Mr Swinhoe

Another Airstream


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world