15th May 2018 Tuesday – Wooden cabin in the woods without any trees.

Hello Everybody!
Route: Lieber State Park to Casey

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 73 miles (Total 1,051 4 figures at last)
Average speed: 11.4mph
Calories: 1,938
Cycling time: 6h 20min
Average cadence: Still not fixed
Climb: 2,044ft, Descent: 2,169ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 138 Aver 106
Aver Temp: 27C, Max temp 34C
Temperament: Getting into my stride

My Blossom waiting for me to ride her.
I managed to break a new record for this trip. A dog attack within 2 miles of leaving the park. Lassie style dog ran into the road to get to me but nearly got run over. After that, the day was just bliss, easy cycling, tailwind city and nice places to stop at. 

I ended up doing around 35miles in my first stint, all the way to Terre Haute for a nice lunch of coffee, blueberry smoothie, omelette at the Corner Grind. After that the route was fairly straightforward all the way to Casey and the KOA Kampground about 2 miles north. 

I’d booked a tent place and was starting to put the tent up when I spotted some wooden cabins. I asked about the uplift charge which was $40 compared to $26. I spoke to Ruth and she said it was OK for me to “go crazy” so I did. I also found out that the cabin had TV (OK) and AC (very much OK).

I made myself some tomato sauce with tuna and then Cherrios for a bedtime snack. The campsite hosts, Cathy and Glenn, were excellent in helping and suggesting opions. They also gave me a free ice bucket for the milk I had bought. I also asked them if they clock was correct and they informed me that I had jumped a time zone and had lost an hour. If I had known I would have left later. We also had a brownout so WiFi needed to be reset. This was due to a local thunderstorm that passed us by about a few miles. We did get the sudden increase in wind speed, then complete silence then wind speed again. The last few days have been very kind to me weather wise. Let’s see how long that lasts.

I cycled across this roundabout (the 3rd in over 1000 miles) in the middle of nowhere.




What a waste of great British cars, just off a highway I spotted
I did my washing in the laundry room, gosh what a dynamic life I am leading here, and then settled in to update some of my blog as I was very much behind. I slept very well but was a bit surprised by the early morning light but that’s what losing an hour does to you.







Regards, Al

Comments

  1. The Spitfire looks as if it might drive still!!!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world