27th May 2018 Sunday – Hottest temperature I’ve seen on a cycle and not even in the desert

Hello Everybody!
Route: El Dorado to Newton

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 45 miles (Total 1,706)
Average speed: 14.6 mph
Calories: 1,168
Cycling time: 3h 06min
Average cadence: 70 rpm
Climb: 837ft, Descent: 666ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 136 Aver 115
Aver Temp: 36C, Max temp 44C
Temperament: Although it beats the record it did not feel that hot

As I was only doing a short ride today (due to the long ride into El Dorado on Friday) I decided to take it easy and listened to the Grand Prix on the BBC radio – not thrilling but probably better to watch on the radio than TV. I then saddled up and went back to my haunt from yesterday.




Warning yet another kind gesture coming up. I met Debbie at the Dilly Deli in El Dorado after having my first breakfast of the morning. She very kindly donated $20 and she has also cycled across Kansas 12 times although hasn’t done the trip for a couple of years. So thank you very much indeed Debbie!




After a smoothie and coffee and blueberry scone and croissant, I travelled north with a strong tailwind and turned left after 17 miles, then about 30 into Newton. I did stop off in Ebbing and met with these two gentlemen – Daniel the father and Issac his son. I also met his daughter but she had gone off cycling when I took the photo. They kindly gave me some Gatorade and two refreshed waterbottles – I was not empty but the water was very warm due to the hottest weather I have ever seen on a cycle.

Given the temperature, this should be desert
The highest temperature of 44C was when I lent Blossom against something when talking to Daniel and Issac. I did take photo evidence of 40.1C whilst I was cycling along. 

The southerly wind was a nice crosswind breeze as I travelled west into Newton. 
Bit of a heat mirage

I bought some stuff at Dillons a really nice supermarket with very good quality food and have just finished a very nice spagtunabol at my Airbnb which is also very nice, and also very cheap – single room and access to kitchen, own TV, internet and AC for £32!

This blog sounds like a flipping advertisement for stuff, so I think I will stop here.

Best wishes to all, Al & Frank xxxx

Other photos:
Oil everywhere
Very nice car at petrol station,
guy kept telling me how bad the car was



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world