4th May 2018 Friday – Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy

Hello Everybody!
Route: Sheperdstown to Paw Paw
For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 81miles (Total 331 miles)
Average speed: 9.8mph
Calories: 2,806
Cycling time: 8h 17min
Average cadence: 64 rpm
Climb: 1,270ft, Descent: 1,201ft
Temperament: Don’t Panic, Keep Cycling
Aver Temp: 24C, Max temp 31C

Scott and Jen left early given they are both teachers and therefore wanted to get the best parking slots. I awoke and got myself packed and ready to go in a time that would be best measured in parsecs. For TNMOT (The Non Mathematicians Out There – I spelled that out for TNMOT just in case), a parsec is the exact same thing as a week in Bognor Regis when is rains every day. Either way it is slow.

My plan, and I have to state that I regard plans, at best, as a sort of suggested set of maybe and maybe nots none of which need to be taken too seriously, was to go into town, get coffee and lots of calories and then cycle off to Paw Paw land. I arrived at the coffee place and then set about locking my bike – I keep my keys around my neck (my other name for them is Ruth’s hands) so I don’t forget them. Well, during the night someone removed my head (it’s not heavy) and took my keys orrrrrr I left them in the kitchen back at S&J. Oh dear! Another wasted 3 miles cycling effort. What a Wallyburger!!!

I did not know where I was staying that night but given the breeding habits of camp sites there were plenty of options and I was aiming for Paw Paw camp site. The day was again hot and the going was heavy underfoot – but not all of it. I met 4 guys from Pittsburgh who had stopped for a rest going the opposite way to me. When I met people on the track I normally say “hello” and see what response I get and then more often that not, stop for a better chat. After some USA/UK banter, they mentioned an option to improve my average speed. There was a converted rail track above the canal at milepost 114 that was smooooooth concrete and went on for 21 miles – yeehaw! What was even better was that I met a 4P [EDITOR NOTE: 4P stands for four panniers] chap going the same way as me, called Rich. We chatted like long lost friends and he also helped me out with a gas cannister as Ruth had forgotten to get me one. Oh dear again!

After that I plodded on my merry way but the going was tough and my progress was more slow, slow, not quick, not quick, slow. Time passed, more time passed and then suddenly my bum felt something unusual happen. The seatpost bolt had slipped and my saddle tipped backward making it quite tricky to stay sitting in an ideal pedaling position. To say my ASI (more of this tomorrow but see who can guess what the “A” stands for ? The answer is the first word in tomorrow’s blog) was severely compromised. I decided to tighten it using my multi-tool. Oh dear Thrice!!! My MT had completely broken into little bits given how rough the track had been over 2 days – just think how I was feeling then. I managed to bodge a fix after 3 attempts and eventually arrived at Paw Paw. It was pretty much dark so I moseyed into the local store and asked if they were any B&B etc. As I was leaving the store they said: “yes there is one, 3 houses up the road, just knock and he’ll put you up for the night”. Sometimes I am such a lucky chap. I met Dan and his dog called Moxie. He was a bike nut and one of the nicest men I have ever had the privilege to meet and get to know a little. He was also my very first interviewee and gave fantastic answers – again more tomorrow.

I slept very soundly but not without some worry given the state of my ASI and poor multi-tool, but that as they say is for another day. Final word, meeting people along the trail is great fun, you chat for 2 mins or 10 mins and swap stories, ideas etc. and I always come away with a very positive feeling about people and how we can get along very easily at times. Anyway, night, night, sleep tight, not like my bloody multi-tool or seatpost bolt.

Regards, Al (and Ruth)

Comments

  1. I knew you should have taken Ruth's complete "handbag toolkit" including jack, when she offered it!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Luisa M'Causland10 May 2018 at 13:45

    Hey... Have you been able to survive without Ruth?? All ok??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Al! Hope your travels are smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parmesean Roasted Cauliflower Recipe

    INGREDIENTS
    1.
    • 1 head cauliflower
    • 1 sliced medium onion
    • 4 thyme sprigs
    • 4 unpeeled garlic cloves
    • 3 tablespoons olive oil
    • Kosher salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    PREPARATION
    1.
    1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets; toss on a large rimmed baking sheet with 1 sliced medium onion, 4 thyme sprigs, 4 unpeeled garlic cloves, and 3 tablespoons olive oil; season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until almost tender, 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, toss to combine, and roast until cauliflower is tender, 10-12 minutes longer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

Final Blog Post