19th May 2018 Saturday – say hello to my good friend, Katy, shots were fired, Columbo Swinhoe to the rescue

Hello Everybody!
Route: Alton to Marthasville

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 64 miles (Total 1,257)
Average speed: 13.2 mph
Calories: 1,899
Cycling time: 4h 52min
Average cadence: 74 rpm
Climb: 466ft, Descent: 554ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 136 Aver 116
Aver Temp: 23C, Max temp 30C
Temperament: Feeling fine thanks

I said goodbye to Alton and then crossed the Missippiissppii river as you can see in the photos. Early on I saw a snake in the road – see photo but I was not scared, oh no, scared not.





I travelled avec des wind for another 10 miles or so before turning onto the Katy Trail – another ex-railway line. It is 237.7 miles long and I will be cycling it all. Have a look: www.bikekatytrail.com

However, the first part of my Katy Trail journey was not without incident. Are you sitting comfortably? I’d just met up with a couple and we were chatting about this and that. Then police car came down the trail with blue/red lights flashing. The policeman asked if we had heard shots and we all said no. He carried on down the trail and we went our merry ways – I left them behind as I was MUCH quicker than they were. Not competitive or anything but a win is a win.




Anyway, after about 2-3 more miles, I heard shots being fired, I counted about 12 in total, coming from a large area containing tractors and other heavy machinery the other side of the trail. I got a little out of the way and then called 911 who tried to locate the area but not sure if they did or not. I knew it was after the 35-milepost and tried to get them to inform the first Policeman but they could not seem to. Duty done I carried on but it did make the next few miles a little bit more interesting.


My first stop was in St Charles where I saw a range of historical enactments. All very nice and friendly. 
The rest of my day was fairly uneventful and I arrived in Marthasville around 5pm and tried to get hold of “Don” who would open the showers for me and take my camping fee – a massive $5. I met the mayor who then set about finding Don which he did and the transaction was completed. Photo show what $5 buys you.
The cold/hot shower

I set up the tent, then had a shower. It was quite cold until I then realised that the hot water was connected to the cold tap. Some American jest perhaps?

I then went to the local grocery store to get some provisions, milk, energy bars and orange juice. Crazy man, crazy.

I also attended the local bar for food and other sustenance i.e. beer. The place was perhaps a little, how to put this, wild. It was not the men but the women I was most scared of. A couple were just dancing with random partners as the evening went on. Smoking was allowed in the bar and looking oddly at the British bloke was a common sport. Either way I had my beers and food, then gently slipped away to my tent – I doubled back about four times just in case I was being followed.

The night was interesting as we had a lively thunderstorm come across but I managed to sleep through most of it as I am quite tired after cycling most of the day. Go figure.


Regards, Al “Columbo” Swinhoe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world