17th May 2018 Thursday – Alton, the place for wild bromances….

Hello Everybody!
Route: Vandalia to Alton

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 77 miles (Total 1,193)
Average speed: 12.6mph
Calories: 1,727
Cycling time: 6h 05min
Average cadence: 66 rpm
Climb: 1,280ft, Descent: 1,312ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 127 Aver 102
Aver Temp: 29C, Max temp 35C
Temperament: Cycling heaven visited – tick that box

I woke up in my lovely cabin in the woods and a small lake. I died. I then visited a small part of cycling heaven (both with small “c” and “h” just in case). So which bit of cycling heaven did I visit? The bit that goes downhill with a significant tailwind, on a sunny day with not much of a care in the world other than to turn those glorious, no resistance pedals, floating across the freshly laid tarmac and adore the beautiful nature we live in. Hmm, lovely.

Just out of Vandalia, I did this video as I had just noticed how good things were. 

I then met Paul whose first question to me as we approached each other was: “enjoying the tailwind?” My joy was unbounded by no bounds. Joy, sweet joy.
Paul - the magic wind man

OK for the LAST TIME - this is an Airstream

Start of New Douglas trail
The road really was smooth and did not vary by more than 3 feet in every mile. After a reasonable time it also turned in a bike trail – yes no cars or other hurdles e.g. flipping red lights. I joined it at the New Douglas head and went quickly to Edwardsville and then onto Alton. 

Shortly into this trail I met a tree, luckily there were men over the other side of the tree who made me a nice route through. I also smashed my shin - I did not cry.
See MASSIVE lump in shin - I still did not cry
Lovely start to New Douglas trail
Same trail but less tarmac,
politicians could not see this far 
One chainsaw later

In between these two locations, there was some fairly industrial scenery which I have added – I just gritted my teeth and put in a stint to get through this bit as quickly as poss.

next holiday location booke
I then joined the main trail to get to Alton. However, one of the bridges I needed to cross has closed the trail route. Being optimistic I decided to travel the 200 metres down the route to find, yes you guessed it, chains. So I joined the main highway, ex-industrial scenery, and got to Alton about on timeish.

Now looking for a place to get a coffee so I could charge my phone, which had the details of where I was staying that night and the next. I ended up in Germania, where a guy said I could stay at his Airbnb but I decided to go to my original choice – Beall Mansion (www.beallmansion.com). I arrived after climbing the only real hill of the day to be greeted by James or Jim as he prefers to be called and his wife Sandy, who also prefers to be called Jim. To say their place was stupendously fantastic would hit the nail directly on its head and not my thumb as is often the case.

Given I had decided to have a rest day as well, I was very happy in my choice. I went Italian the first night and had a very enjoyable meal although the pizza won and I’d ordered the smallest size.

The following day I spent my time booking future places to stay and getting my blog up to date – you may have noticed the blog fest recently. During the day I had many interesting conversations with Jim, talking about our wives (we adore them obviously), eating habits between UK & USA, a bit of politics and I have to say, we got on really very well. He is a very intelligent, thoughtful and funny character – and a character he really is – see photo as an example of how he “performs” for his guests. 

He focused on giving really good customer service in every way he and Sandy can provide. Their house is a designated museum as well as a great B&B. It has 24-hour chocolate choices which I tried as it would have been rude not to. I have saved some for Berny but sadly I have now also eaten them instead. Perhaps I will be due a box of Ferrero Rocher in a little while. [EDITOR NOTE: private joke but worth asking Berniey about it]. Anyway, Jim was my first “bromance” of my visit to Alton.
Franklin did not want to leave Beall Mansion
It was just a hug, nothing more
The second Bromance was Keegan, not Kevin the Liverpool legend, but a guy I met in an Irish bar. When I arrived and entered the Germania coffee/beer place someone mentioned a good Irish bar down the road, so rest day evening, which most people call Friday, I visited the said bar to try the Irish food on offer and see what the Crac was like. I ordered soda bread as a starter and something eggy and baconee for mains -  both very, very nice.

I entered bar and tried to order a drink, Keegan, said I should sit down next to him and I gently said I might sit at a table. I’m easy but not that easy. Anyway, I ended up sitting next to him and we got chatting. I ordered a Guinness and mentioned my trip, at which point Keegan said he would buy my drink. Oh dear, what to do? I did what any self-respecting person would do and said “Thanks”. We got chatting and I found Keegan to be a thoughtful and sensitive person with very similar views about things as I have. We ended up trading a few drinks but given I was cycling the next day I kept well off the shorts he was having. Keegan had recently been in Ireland and visited Dublin, Ring of Kerry etc. and I think he said he got engaged there but could not remember the name of the beach they were engaged on. He also got married in Mexico but I never really understood that bit. Anyway given I had a 1.5-mile walk back to Beall Mansion I left around 10 and pre-packed the panniers before downing a few more chocolates and then falling into a restful sleep. Bromance number two done.

Although such interactions are only fleeting these two will stay with for a long time I think, as I found people who I was just instantly comfortable being with and just plain liked a lot.

Thanks you Jim, Sandy & Keegan for a great stay in Alton.


Regards, Al 

Comments

  1. Forgiven for eating my chocolates, too many miles left to get them home safely and unsquashed and who would want a chocolate that wasn't what it promised to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Luisa M'Causland25 May 2018 at 14:10

    Are you sure you didn't stay in a museum by mistake??? wow.. that's a house with some decoration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world