10th June 2018 Sunday – Great day after bit of a disaster

Hello Everybody!
Route: Sunshine Campground to Rico (at last) then to Dove Creek

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 20 miles (Total 2,492)
Average speed: 10.9 mph
Calories: 493
Cycling time: 1h 48min
Average cadence: 71 rpm
Climb: 1,191ft, Descent: 1,903ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 142 Aver 107
Aver Temp: 16C, Max temp 21C
Temperament: Had a good night and now getting comfy

Distance: 72 miles (Total 2,564)
Average speed: 12.9 mph
Calories: 1,355
Cycling time: 5h 36min
Average cadence: 71 rpm
Climb: 1,995ft, Descent: 3,757ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 130 Aver 105
Aver Temp: 30C, Max temp 36C
Temperament: Wind at my back

[EDITOR NOTE: There is no Editor Note for this day’s blog. Swinhoe probably made a few more mistakes but he is keeping very MUM about them. Anyway, remove drawing pin from your shoe but make sure you keep it handy]

OK, so I started a bit behind where I should have been. However I did meet some nice people, I enjoyed camping in the state park. One interesting feature was the compost toilet which when sat on, the person would experience a steady breeze up and past their botty.  When I left there was a queue of around 16 people. 

Anyway, I managed the climb pretty well – to be fair it was only5 miles and steady. I was joined by a road cyclist just before the summit of Lizard Head pass which was nice as we could “do photos”. See photos.


When I arrived in Rico I was a bit surprised how derelict it looked. I also stopped in the restaurant/hotel that I should have stayed in the previous night. The funny thing has they had a power cut from 6.30pm and so the evening was a little abridged. They did do me some fruit, coffee for my biscuits, so this was my breakfast. I stopped in the petrol station shop just down the road and entered a cyclist dream shop – full of energy gels, rice crispy bars (try them they are luvverly), and other high calorie/no use for your figure foods. Yum Yum.

From Rico I had a 35 miles descent – not steep but steady. Sometimes I needed to pedal to keep the speed up but most of the time I was doing 15-18mph without too much effort. There were times when I needed to pedal just to keep going as that South West wind was still trying to “really get on my nerves”. I was a little hopeful that “Mr Westy Wind” would go away later in the day as I was going SW from Rico and then from Delores I would be going NW so I should just get a crosswind.

Given the early 20-mile fun cycle I had, time was not on my side but I did manage to spend about 1.5 hours in Delores getting lunch and cycling help from the local bike shop owner, Nicholas. He is German and was very funny. He was a bit alternative but managed to improve my handlebar tape and also gave me a free, no not beer, but back/arm massage as I explained that my left hand was mostly numb due to the cycling and my dodgy left shoulder. It is getting so I cannot change gear properly which is not how things should be.

I met him as I was buying my lunch and he obviously knew I was touring so asked if I wanted to have my lunch on his couch – nice chat up line and it worked on me very easily. I also met his cat, girlfriend, dog and friend in that order. Anyway thank you Nicholas and send me a picture of the photo you took of me outside your shop, please.

So time was now really not on my side but guess what? Yep, I got a fairly good cross and tailwind from Delores to the end in Dove Creek. The route was very undulating but the climbs were fairly short and only up to 5% so I could use the big ring and get off the saddle to climb them.

So I arrived around 6.30pm in Dove Creek and found the motel to be very nice and although Dove Creek was not very large there are enough places for me to enjoy another rest day.

Surprisingly I have now cycled for 37 days with 6 rest days and I am now 67% in terms of mileage. I am still very nervous about Nevada but I have managed to book accommodation/camping up to 23rd June @ Eureka, Nevada.

Anyway ending on a positive note, I am having a relatively short day for my next ride day so will try to get some more planning done. This should not be a problem as I am very good at planning as I have told you all before and you all agree which is good.


Love & Kisses, Alan and Franklin


The windy toilet campsite

Descent from Rico





I only do this with people I trust

Which one  of us has the best cycle tan lines?

Not sure I should have put this one in

The real boss of the place - Ellie I think she was called
 More nice photos:









Even their man caves are big

Comments

  1. It should be good in Eureka. I believe they have baths there and not showers.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Luisa M'Causland14 June 2018 at 10:14

    I enjoy more and more your entries. It is great to see that you survive and still enjoy...
    I will continue following the route :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world