28th May 2018 Monday – Hottest temperature I’ve seen on a cycle (again) – at least the tan is coming along nicely

Hello Everybody!
Route: Newton to Sterling

For the non-mathematicians out there:
Distance: 64 miles (Total 1,770)
Average speed: 14.7 mph
Calories: 1,607
Cycling time: 4h 21min
Average cadence: 69 rpm
Climb: 958ft, Descent: 695ft
Heart (yes I have one): Max 131 Aver 112
Aver Temp: 35C, Max temp 42C
Temperament: Loving the wind at my back day again

I set off fairly early at 9.15am and sped along with a very nice tailwind. I was doing around 16-18mph at 99bpm which is just about the same heartbeat as when Ruth is just about to start getting on my nerves. And the answer to your question is: yes, my heart rate rarely goes below 95bpm when at home and 52bpm when Ruth is away.

Back to matters of serious import – actually I am being serious for once. I was passing through Hesston, which was about 8 or so miles into the ride when I saw people congregating at the local cemetery. I stopped and was approached by a very nice lady, who was, and I think still is, called Karen. Karen explained that the gathering was a memorial service for the armed forces and would I like to join them. 

I thought for a while and then decided to stay and attend as this was the last day of their Memorial weekend – most similar to our Remembrance Day. The service was fairly short at 30 minutes but was a very moving and uplifting experience. There were a few speeches all of which were relatively brief but all were well delivered and offered a simple message. We sang God Bless America and had a couple of trumpet solos which were played extremely well. Anyway, I was really pleased to have attended this service and I think the people who I talked with before and after the service were pleased I’d stayed.

Warning another act of kindness. Issac, in the picture, very kindly gave me $20 donation just as I was leaving. Well done to Issac and thank you from me and the children your donation will be helping.



The attendees and honour guard:

So I carried on as only someone who knows how to carry on, carries on. I was again amazingly enjoying the cycling, miles just vanished and my legs, whilst not very muscly (yes it is a real word) did not mind the pace. Joy.


As I Approached Buhler I noticed that I had a strange feeling “down there” i.e. I was hungry. I know what you were all thinking…. tut tut and thrice tut. I stopped to chat with a man who was doing some manual job which looked quick tricky. Either way he was happy to tell me that the town had a grocery store which might be open but was probably closed. I thanked him with a wave of my doffed cycling helmet and turned for Buhler Main Street. Hmm, on Memorial Monday it was not so much Main as Empty & Closed – still it was a holiday. So I sat down on one of the outside cafe tables – it was closed as well so nobody minded. I started to munch an energy bar with my warm water – livin’ the life, Al, livin’ the life. 

Anyway, I suddenly became aware of a presence and I looked up to see a big Merican truck-car and a very nice chap next to it. He said he saw me and just wanted to check if I was OK etc. We got chatting and I discovered, not by a forensic analysis of the facts before me but cos Chris told me, that he owned the cabinet/furniture shop over the road and he was just goofing around and then saw me so decided to say hello. Anyway, he offered me two bottles of water which I easily snaffled up pronto. He was a really nice guy, and ladies, a bit of a beefcake with the bluest eyes I have seen this side of the Missiipppsiieps river.

My next stop was at Nickerson, where I entered small grocery store heaven. They sold klondyke ice-cream bars which I could easily live on forever and a day, bananas and they were real ones. The two staff were also good fun and when I asked for the restroom, one of the women said it’s in the back but don’t be scared. Well, I wasn’t scared until she said that. Anyway, the moment passed very quickly and I was then back on my way to Sterling.

Now you may not believe this but the next bit is 100% true. I arrived at my next Airbnb and cycled up to a man who looked a bit surprised to see me. Well, the reason he did look surprised is that he was surprised and said he thought I was due to arrive the next day or tomorrow whichever was the soonest. [EDITOR NOTE: Alan told me that when Ruth reads this she will probably say out loud: “What a plonker, he’s done it again”. Ruth is referring to the many examples of Alan getting his days mixed up and arriving at various destinations either early, late or never at all]. Now I bet when Ruth reads this she will probably say out loud: “What a plonker, he’s done it again” but for ONCE I am right and you are wrong Pet.

The man, who I decided to call Bob and his wife Sonam had both got their dates mixed up, but they said I could stay so I did. Other than their calendar mishap, they were fantastic hosts who had only relatively recently moved to Sterling. Bob grew up there. Bob & Sonam were real-world travellers and true free spirits. They were already planning their next move back to India. Bob had been in a couple of bands and managed a couple and they were both very easy to get on with, and they put up with me.

They were going out to a BBQ at a nearby river so Sonam offered to make me a meal. This resulted in me eating a most delicious meal of salad - fresh from their garden), chicken, tomato sauce, and spaghetti which was a perfect meal considering I was not expected.

I decided to have a walk around Sterling and it turned out to be a very nice place – a lake, nice community park, proper main street and a general nice friendly feel. I slept soundly that night.


Cheerio from Frankie and Alie xxx

OTHER PHOTOS

Just the road


Just the road

Another one


See it was hot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th July 2018 - The final, final and thrice final blogpost until next year

23rd June 2018 Saturday – Tougher than it looked

7th June 2018 Thursday – Made it Ma, top of the world